Skin is considered as the largest organ of the human body and having approximately 20 square feet area. Our skin works as protecting sheet for us as it protects us from the microbes and elements. It helps in regulating temperature and allow the sensations of heat, cold and touching.
To know the various conditions or issues of skin it is important to know your skin deeply. Our skin has three deep layers as below
- The outermost layer of the skin is epidermis that provides the waterproof protection and creates our skin tone
- Next layer is beneath the outer skin called dermis that contains connective tissue, sweat glands, and hair follicles
- Third last deepest layer is hypodermis which is made up of fat and connective tissues.
Other than three layers our skin color is created by special cells called melanocytes located in the epidermis and these cells produce pigment melanin to give color to the skin.
DIFFERENT SKIN CONDITIONS
- The rash is the condition in which skin’s appearance is changed that can be caused due to simple skin irritation and medical conditions
- Dermatitis is also one condition of inflammation of the skin
- Eczema is the skin condition that causes dry, irritated and itchy skin
- Psoriasis is the autoimmune condition that leads to various skin rashes and silver scaly plaques.
- Dandruff is the scalp issue and can be caused by dermatitis, eczema, and psoriasis
- Skin acne is the common condition that can be commonly seen among 85% of people
- Cellulitis is the inflammation of the dermis and subcutaneous tissue. It can happen due to infection and can lead to red warm and painful rash on the skin
- Hives are the condition in which suddenly red itchy skin patches occur due to an allergic reaction
- Ringworm is also the common skin condition that occurs due to fungal infection and the rings got created due to worms
To examine the skin conditions there are various tests are performed before undertaking any treatment for a skin problem. Mainly following tests are performed apart from physical examination
- Skin biopsy is performed in which piece of skin is removed and examined under a microscope to know about the skin issue
- Skin testing is the testing of skin allergy in which extracts of common substances are applied to the skin and their reactions are examined
- Tuberculosis skin test is the test in which protein from TB bacteria are injected under the skin and if the skin becomes firm then the person has TB.
For treating the skin conditions various kinds of treatments are available that work to reduce immune system activity, reduce inflammations and stop the fungal infections accordingly. Treatments like steroids, antibiotics, antiviral drugs, antifungal drugs, antihistamines, skin surgery and many other available depending on the nature and extent of skin problem.
All treatments have their different results and even should be taken according to instructions of the dermatologist.